Our Lady of Lourdes Gluten-Free Treat

Today is the traditional feast of St. Bernadette Soubirous, saint of Lourdes and Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI's 86th birthday!  I thought it would be the perfect time to share the beautiful gluten-free treat submitted by Summer, which she made for her children earlier this year on the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes and the day on which Pope Benedict announced his resignation.   Thank you Summer! 


I woke up Monday morning [February 11, 2013] to the news that Pope Benedict had resigned from the papacy. After I cried, remembered to pray, and gathered up my little ones to tell them the news, I had to ready everyone for a party. As it was the feast day of Our Lady of Lourdes and I needed a gluten free treat to help keep my kids away from the other tasty pastries, I made the grotto. This time, however, I used popcorn because that is what was in the cupboard. Elizabeth Foss inspired me with her popcorn snowballs. Let me tell you, big and little ones demolished this treat. The three-year-olds just stood around taking little bits like Hansel and Gretal. It's truly delicious and easier to mold than rice crispies! We will definitely make this version in the future.

RECIPE

  • 3/4 Cup of Popcorn
  • 2 TBS of Coconut Oil
  • 1 Stick of Butter
  • 1 Bag of Marshmallows
  • 1/4 t of Salt



I pop the corn on the stove in the pot. If you let the pot heat first, without the oil, there will be far less smoking and time spent shaking the thing. Also, coconut oil can take much higher temperatures and is delicious. Throw a couple of corn kernels in to see if they pop right away, if so, toss the rest in, put the lid on, and shake until the popping sounds slow way down. Transfer to another bowl.

In the same pot (I don't like to do dishes) melt the butter, toss in the salt, then melt the marshmallows. You know how to do this, right? Stir all that popcorn back in until it is well coated. Using well greased hands, mold warm yummy goodness into your grotto. Really press everything together. Try not to eat too much during this step! I used a jar to prop up the roof until it cooled.

Add a little statue of Mary and a decoration or two. Easy!


You can find grottos made from Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles, and Rice Krispy Treats in addition to other ideas for Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Bernadette in the archives.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment